Wednesday, April 8, 2009

OOo Class Project Updates

During the past couple weeks, we have had project updates on our Open Office projects. We were told to make notes about the presentations and write a blog about them. My initial reaction was that I realized that everyone is in a similar spot in the project.

The first project that was presented was upgrading to python 2.6. I thought it was a little weird that they don't just spend the extra time and upgrade to 3.0 right away, but the explanation of 3.0 being completly different then 2.6.1 was a good enough reason for me.

The next presentation was improving Impress' style. I am still not quite sure what kind of improvements they want, I guess I'll see next presentation. It was really cool how Daeson would change the code and rebuild during the presentation, even though sometimes the rebuild didn't seem to work.

Building Open Office on Open Solaris seemed like a really cool project, I might want to help out Thiago on this one if I get some free time. Of course that would mean I'd need to install another OS which might take my interest out of the project.

I liked how Ladan showed her bug in action during her presentation. I think the way that Microsoft solves that problem in Excel would probably be the best way for Open Office to solve the bug, but I'm not sure how Ladan plans on solving the issue.

Implementing additional slide show transitions was probably the most graphically appealing presentation. Some of the transitions in the video Jerry showed looked very impressive. However it was weird that a binary output was not generated but dmake was up to date. He says its a source code error, but I assumed a source code error wouldn't result in a dmake up to date message.

Finally understanding Impress. I feel bad for Fred, I hated drawing class diagrams for some of our tiny projects. I dont know how he is going to get one done for something so big.

No comments: